Clicking an event will bring up more detail. There are different lists for GOT Events (click HERE), Partner Events (HERE) or All Events as a calendar (HERE). You can switch from list to calendar month view using the ‘View As’ button and search for specific types of events (pruning, grafting, blossom, talks, workshops etc etc) in the search field available on the listing pages.
- This event has passed.
Pear/Perry Pear Identification Workshop
Saturday, September 16th, 2017 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
Funded by the Three Counties Traditional Orchard Project/Heritage Lottery Fund
Arrive from 9.30 – tea/coffee available throughout day
- 10-10.45 introduction to pears generally – dessert, baking and perry and others that might be met e.g. decorative
- 11-11.30 introduction and use of manuals and keys to dessert and culinary pears, use of manuals and new approach to keys to perry pears
- 11.45-12.30 practical workshop identifying examples (provided) using manuals and keys, with opportunity to view for comparison extensive display of named perry pears
Light lunch followed by optional afternoon with;
- question and answers
- walk around National Collection
- further opportunity to identify your own perry pears
There will also be an opportunity in the afternoon to deal with specific queries about planting/growing/identifying and using perry pears (not in detail about perry making, just choice of varieties etc).
Do bring your own manuals/guides (not essential!), but we will provide sufficient copies of Jim Arbury’s guide to pears, Charles Martell’s guide to perry pears, Keys to identification of pears from Hogg, Bunyard, (Marlaud approach) and Luckwill and Pollard and Supplementary notes on identification
Please bring a notebook and pencil, appropriate weather attire and boots.
Booking (essential) via Ann Smith (GOT Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Maximum of 16 but if we are very oversubscribed, Jim Chapman will try to run a second workshop.
If you have any dietary requirements, please let Ann know. There will be some vegetarian rolls anyway, but it would be helpful to know in advance.
Jim owns and manages the National Perry Pear Centre/Hartpury Orchard Centre. This is the first of its kind for perry pears and promises to be a fascinating event!
You can download events to your Google Calendar, or other online calendars using ics files, by clicking the links above.