GOT orchardist Martin Hayes is running a series of workshops at GOT’s lovely Longney Orchard, south of Gloucester.
Date will be (many not yet confirmed):
- Friday Feb 17th Pruning, mature apple trees (10:00 to 15:00)
- Wednesday Mar 22nd Pruning, young apple & pear trees (10:00 to 15:00)
- Wednesday Apr 12th Pruning, young apple & pear trees (10:00 to 15:00)
- Wednesday 10th May Pruning, mature plum trees (10:00 to 15:00)
- Wednesday 14th June Pruning, young plum trees (10:00 to 15:00)
- July, date tbc General maintenance
- Aug, date tbc General maintenance
- Aug, date tbc Pick your own plums
- Sept, date tbc Pick your own plums (and apples, if any are ripe)
- Oct, date tbc Fruit picking for Trust Juice
We are hoping that a regular work-party will be able to help with general maintenance, but no commitment if you just want to attend a pruning workshop.
There is a barn (with interpretation signage), chairs, composting loo and running cold water. Have your lunch in the barn!
Martin is very knowledgeable; so much to learn/share. He will go through health and safety with you. He is first aid trained and we have a first aid kit in the store. The ground is uneven, there are some brambles and low hanging branches.
Tools will be provided, but do bring your own saws, secateurs and gloves if you can. Please bring own refreshments and appropriate footwear and weather attire.
No dogs please; there are sheep and please keep gates closed.
No vehicular access, so please park at or near the white railings on the road, being mindful of neighbours.
If anyone is able to take a couple of photos on the day (if no one objects) for the GOT website, please let us know, thank you via firstname.lastname@example.org
First orchard is Long Tyning (long and thin) then Bollow. Also on site are Middle & Lower Orchards which have been planted up with heritage apple and plum trees of regional/national importance.
Please book (essential) via email@example.com and on the day please bring emergency contact details for Martin.
£5 for GOT members for just the workshops (and £20 for non members, which includes a year’s membership).
(non members can also join on that page).
You must be logged in to post a comment.